Maynamati is situated eight kilometers south west from Comilla city. The legend of King Manik Chandra’s wife, Maynamati is related to this place. The ancient monuments of Maynamati carry the historic prominence of 400 years of south-eastern Bengal for eight to twelve centuries. Many archaeological places are found here. Among them the notable are ‘Shalbon Bihar’, ‘Kutila Mura’, ‘Ranir Banglow’, ‘Ananda Bihar’, ‘Rupban Mura’, ‘Bhoj Bihar’ and ‘Maynamati Dhibi’. Many monuments of the Bengal Buddhists civilization were found here. Apart from the monuments of Buddhist religion many statues of Jain and Hindu gods were also found.
According to historians, the very first historical object of Maynamati was found in 1803. The object was a plate made of copper, engraved with the description the then capital ‘Pattikera’ of Ranavankamalla Harikaladeva. It was dated back in 1220 A.D. and is well decorated with different forts and monasteries of the ancient past. The local people still bears the name their heart as today’s Pattikera Pargana. During 1875, while reconstructing an old road the workers discovered a Buddhist Monastery, which was previously thought to be a small fort made of brick.
The monuments indicate that there was good facility to practice education in that period. There are signs of residential accommodation facilities for teacher and students. The temples had beautiful artistries. Terracotta plates were used on the outer walls and different rooms of the temple for its beautification. The terracotta plates had images of miraculous animals and mythological sceneries. Among these the most attractive images and sceneries are of real creatures like lions, weasel fighting a cobra snake, horse, running elephant, swan in the lotus etc. There were also notable sceneries- warriors with swords in hand, men and women in dancing position etc. Many gold, silver and bronze coins were found in Maynamati. Stone sculptures and terracotta plates of inscriptions have been found.